Kickboxing Message Board

Kickboxing Message Board (http://ikfkickboxing.com/wwwboard/index.php)
-   IKF KICKBOXING NEWS (http://ikfkickboxing.com/wwwboard/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   December Tournament? (http://ikfkickboxing.com/wwwboard/showthread.php?t=1722)

admin 09-03-2008 11:30 AM

December Tournament?

The IKF has been talking about doing a December tournament in possibly the same hotel as the IKF World Classic. they wanted me to post on here the idea to see what kind of response it would have. What do you think? Would you want to attend a December IKF Tournament in Orlando? The working title for the event is the IKF Winter Classic.:D

AmericanKickboxer 09-03-2008 01:27 PM

Re: December Tournament?

We need an IKF tournament in Illinois.

admin 09-04-2008 05:58 PM

In the winter?:(

David Cummings 09-05-2008 06:14 AM

You know Team thunder will be there in force. Next eventy im hoping to have 40 for tourney and 20 for PKB. I plan to do a PKB event in the next 12 weeks

LMITCHUM 09-05-2008 09:12 AM

Admin:

Winter Classic sounds good!!!! My question would how would it rank in terms of comparing it to the Worlds. I would think the Worlds would be a higher ranking title to hold than the Winter Classic. HOWEVER, I do like the idea because it gives fighters more fights, which promotes the sport. It is a good idea. Perhaps a PRO title fight of sort should be on card.

Larry

Cellar Fight Team 09-05-2008 10:28 AM

I'm all for a winter tournament, but I disagree with doing it in December as well as doing it at the same place as the IKF World Classic.

The trip to Florida, especially Orlando, is a huge financial burden for fighters, trainers, and families. Having 2 events per year at the same location will probably force many fighters from outside the state of Florida to choose which event to attend and could hurt the overall numbers at the World Classic next year.

On the flip-side, selecting a new location in a different part of the country will attract a new group of fighters that may not be able to travel to the W.C. in Florida. And you may also get a large number of Florida fighters who can afford to travel out of state because they didn't spend as much in travel for the W.C. (only if they are willing to take on the winter weather outside of Florida, I sure wouldn't :)

In terms of when the event should be held, I like the winter idea because not much is going on during that time as far as kickboxing. But having the event in December is going to be real tough on folks. It means sandwiching the tournament between Thanksgiving and Christmas, two of the biggest travel times of the year. I might be alone here, but I just don't see many people jumping on board.

fighterzack 09-05-2008 01:11 PM

Good points, what about November, or January? MLK day (Jan 19th) has always been a good long weekend, and we could have some reflection at the tournament. Just throwing ideas out for you guys. Also, if not Fla, how about West Coast for winter, or even Vegas, for cheaper travel?

AnnikeRules 09-05-2008 03:30 PM

My personal opinion on this is we need to have two tournaments in January. One in the West and one in the East. I say that because of the kids that are in school and trying to cut down the financial burden on everyone.
If you used the Winter tournaments to establish the Seedings for the World Tournament in July. This would enable you to also set up the World fights a little earier especially if you used these functions to Pre-Register for Worlds. Have a sign up statin right there on hand and get the money at maybe a disounted Rate.
We need to look at Places that fighters can get too without flying also . as some of you best fighters also are in school and work with limited funding.
The Reional Tournaments will also be able to use these ranking to help seed their tournamnets. :cool:

Colin Payne 09-05-2008 06:03 PM

Just to give it some international input. I think it would be unlikely to have much international invovlement because of the expense involved for us over here and further afield. We are already planning for next July but if I threw a December event in to the mix I doubt I would have many go for it.

That said December would I think be the only other time for a second tournamnt as the rest of the year is very busy with events.

Just to play devils advocate a bit, is there any risk that another tournament would cut down the numbers who attend the world classic?? I just put that forward for comment

fighterzack 09-06-2008 07:32 AM

I am speaking for the IKF here, and correct me if I am wrong, but the post just says a tournament in December, not a World Classic. So, I believe they are just offering to hold a regular tournament style event, to give the fighters more experience. And, if it were a tournament with entrance fees, it would come close to paying for itself, instead of having to wait for a promoter to decide to do an event that not everyone can get to, or is notified about.
Now, if the IKF could do this, wouldn't it be great if they could do a tournament on the East coast, and a tournament on the West coast. Heck, while we are at it, follow those by a tournament in the UK for the European fighters. Between January and February, they could do a weekend tournament on the West coast, travel to the East coast the next weekend, and go on to the UK the next weekend. It would be great experience for the fighters, and could be used as a tool for seeding for the World Classic in July/August. This could help keep the travel expense down for the fighters in each area, and hopefully with the numbers, help each tournament pay for itself.
I have NO idea about the costs for this, but without the expense of the belts, wouldn't it be great if they could do it?
Come through on our wish list, IKF Santa...