Kickboxing Message Board

Go Back   Kickboxing Message Board > IKF Kickboxing > IKF KICKBOXING NEWS
User Name
Password
NEWS EVENTS CHAT Register FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Default December Tournament?

The IKF has been talking about doing a December tournament in possibly the same hotel as the IKF World Classic. they wanted me to post on here the idea to see what kind of response it would have. What do you think? Would you want to attend a December IKF Tournament in Orlando? The working title for the event is the IKF Winter Classic.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Master Champion

Default Re: December Tournament?

We need an IKF tournament in Illinois.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Administrator

In the winter?
Old 09-05-2008, 06:14 AM
Hall Of Fame Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to David Cummings

You know Team thunder will be there in force. Next eventy im hoping to have 40 for tourney and 20 for PKB. I plan to do a PKB event in the next 12 weeks
Old 09-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Hall Of Fame Champion

Admin:

Winter Classic sounds good!!!! My question would how would it rank in terms of comparing it to the Worlds. I would think the Worlds would be a higher ranking title to hold than the Winter Classic. HOWEVER, I do like the idea because it gives fighters more fights, which promotes the sport. It is a good idea. Perhaps a PRO title fight of sort should be on card.

Larry
Old 09-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Master Champion

I'm all for a winter tournament, but I disagree with doing it in December as well as doing it at the same place as the IKF World Classic.

The trip to Florida, especially Orlando, is a huge financial burden for fighters, trainers, and families. Having 2 events per year at the same location will probably force many fighters from outside the state of Florida to choose which event to attend and could hurt the overall numbers at the World Classic next year.

On the flip-side, selecting a new location in a different part of the country will attract a new group of fighters that may not be able to travel to the W.C. in Florida. And you may also get a large number of Florida fighters who can afford to travel out of state because they didn't spend as much in travel for the W.C. (only if they are willing to take on the winter weather outside of Florida, I sure wouldn't

In terms of when the event should be held, I like the winter idea because not much is going on during that time as far as kickboxing. But having the event in December is going to be real tough on folks. It means sandwiching the tournament between Thanksgiving and Christmas, two of the biggest travel times of the year. I might be alone here, but I just don't see many people jumping on board.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame Champion

Send a message via AIM to fighterzack Send a message via MSN to fighterzack

Good points, what about November, or January? MLK day (Jan 19th) has always been a good long weekend, and we could have some reflection at the tournament. Just throwing ideas out for you guys. Also, if not Fla, how about West Coast for winter, or even Vegas, for cheaper travel?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Watcher

My personal opinion on this is we need to have two tournaments in January. One in the West and one in the East. I say that because of the kids that are in school and trying to cut down the financial burden on everyone.
If you used the Winter tournaments to establish the Seedings for the World Tournament in July. This would enable you to also set up the World fights a little earier especially if you used these functions to Pre-Register for Worlds. Have a sign up statin right there on hand and get the money at maybe a disounted Rate.
We need to look at Places that fighters can get too without flying also . as some of you best fighters also are in school and work with limited funding.
The Reional Tournaments will also be able to use these ranking to help seed their tournamnets.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:55 AM
Master Champion

I have to agree, a December tournament isn't a very good idea! A tournament around that time is never a good idea with Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, etc...

I suggest the IKF do what its always stated it would do and have an 8 man PRO tournament at the IKF World Classic on the Friday before the event so that PROS can remain active. I'm sure enough pros would like to do say 4 two minute rounds just to stay active. Winner gets Crowned tournament Champion as a professional. (with the $1500 Championship Belt)

Feed back is welcome on this! If we get enough feed back on this, maybe the IKF would do it instead of just talking about it!
Old 09-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Hall Of Fame Champion

I would stick with one big tournament a year. More focus needs to be done on Regional Tournaments for qualifiers for the IKF World Classic. Maybe if there where 4 major Regionals in the USA, say North, South, East, and West Regionals, and Regional Belts where awarded. Maybe it would bring out more fighters to compete in the Regionals. Also get something going like this in Canada and Mexico. Just a thought!

Steamroller Out!