Kickboxing Message Board

Go Back   Kickboxing Message Board > IKF Kickboxing > IKF KICKBOXING NEWS
User Name
Password
NEWS EVENTS CHAT Register FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2004, 10:00 AM
Champion

Default enough with the headgear BS !!!!

This week, steve fossum and I heatedly discussed several issues relating to the IKF. One main issue is headgear. Its completely acinine to make headgear mandatory. If rules and stipulations are in force as well as being overseen by a reputable ikf rep, there is no reason why qualified amatuers cannot CHOOSE TO FIGHT WITHOUT HEADGEAR !! Our sport is taking the backseat to mma chiefly because of the headgear. A vote is coming up again and I say if any of you will quit being yes men and have some balls and support the OPTION of going without headgear then you will see more growth of kickboxing and hopefully make the way for support of PRO fights. Discuss........
Old 10-31-2004, 11:43 AM
Hall Of Fame Champion

Default Re: enough with the headgear BS !!!!

Headgear should be manadatory for Amateurs. I have seen several fights where one fighter wears headgear and his opponent does not. Then the next fight has both fighters wearing headgear and the next, neither wears it. To the Public it is confusing and goofy looking. You have to have Standardised Rules for our Sport to be taken seriously. Headgear will prevent "Cuts", thats all. Why have a long Amateur career and then when you decide to turn Pro, your face is already a scarred up mess. If you think you are so tough and don't need to not wear it, turn Pro!!
Old 10-31-2004, 12:05 PM
Champion

Where are the pro fights ? If one wears it , the other must. It must be agreed and the same for both fighters. And for your info, I do fight amatuer without headgear. Does that make me tough enough for you ?
Old 10-31-2004, 12:11 PM
Hall Of Fame Champion

Exactly!!! I'm sure as **** NOT a yes man!! I think fighters should wear headgear because of safety, period. Stop trying to sell your amateurs as pro's. If you want to take off the gear, GO PRO. Why is that so hard? You're a toughguy, right? You don't need any gear, right? Then go pro. It works for boxing so it can work for kickboxing.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame Champion

How can the Public take our Sport as Real, if the Rules are always different on each show? You either make an Official IKF Rule that no Amateur fighters can wear headgear or all Amateur fighters must wear it. You don't think its confusing when some Aamteurs where it, some don't. Some wear 'Foot pads' some don't. Some wear 'Shin pads' some don't, etc....If each show can decide for itself what the Fighters are allowed to wear, then you will have exactly what you have now....Confusion!
Old 10-31-2004, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame Champion

I agree with Curtis. I don't think there are a lot of "knockout" punches being thrown that are prevented by headgear. Headgear helps keep fighters from getting cut, by the heads and elbows of inexperienced or overzealous fighters. Having been cut often by heads, spinning forearms, and elbows, I believe in protecting fighters as much as possible. I think the amount of "exposure" gained by seeing the faces of amateurs in 3 round fights is not nearly worth the potential risks to their safety.

Check the "Events" page of all the sanctioning bodies for pro fights, Dan. I don't want to get into a "tough guy" battle with you, but if you want to fight without headgear, you can fight as a pro almost every month, if you WANT to.

Do it.
RP

P.S. That's right, Curtis and I agree. He might even vote for Kerry on Tuesday.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:27 PM
Hall Of Fame Champion

Sorry Randy. It ain't gonna happen...
Old 10-31-2004, 12:32 PM
Fighter

Why does headgear make the sport take a backseat to mma? I'm not clear on that. Are you saying that the fighters wearing headgear are less appealing to the fans? Or are you saying that some fighters determine that they will fight in mma and not in kickboxing cuz of headgear rules?
Old 10-31-2004, 03:53 PM
Hall Of Fame Champion

The headgear issue is simple. Amateurs wear it pros don't. I wonder who among us you consider to be yes men? Maybe we just believe it is important for amateurs to wear the head gear for safety. I agree with Curtis and Randy it does protect from cuts. If you want to fight like a pro than turn pro. Promoters do not need to pass off amateurs as pros. I have been firm on this issue and will remain. Amateurs wear head gear.
Team Singto Muay Thai / Kickboxing
Old 10-31-2004, 04:11 PM
Champion

are you people deaf ? can you read english ? Look up the word Optional. Why are you imposing headgear on people who choose not to wear it ? No one is saying that if the rule ALLOWS OPTIONAL HEADGEAR that somebody is forced to go without it. This is where the representative is insuring that each party is fully willing to fight without headgear. I know I know, an evil promtoer is trying to sell pro fights without paying ! YOUR RIGHT, DUH ! do you understand that we are competing with mma ? For qualified amateurs there is no harm . Its all about choice. are all you nazis would be in favor of skateboarders being thrown in jail for not wearing helmets and knee pads ? Do you realize how stupid this sound ? Mr. Bush, Im assuming that you are then in favor of anything other than FC being outlawed ? as far as pro fights being able to fight once a month .... Bull**** !!!!!! to dean, we both know one of your fighters who is a friend of mine retired not only due to an injury but out of frustration of not being able to fight. Chris could not find regular fights. He turned pro only to find there was nothing there. Why doesnt everybody hear go out and start lobbying for jail time for people who skateboard without a helmet ? yes , Im afraid all you are yes men. What if IKF decides to allow an option for headgear ? are you all going to boycott the IKF ? lose all respect for steve ? or are you going to piously support steve in whatever he decides to do ?