Kickboxing Message Board

Go Back   Kickboxing Message Board > IKF Kickboxing > IKF KICKBOXING NEWS
User Name
Password
NEWS EVENTS CHAT Register FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2004, 03:16 PM
Champion

Default Re: enough with the headgear BS !!!!

to mr kirkpatrick, Im saying that kickboxing is dwindling promotionally because mma is more popular. this is due to the fact that people enjoy watching mma more because they do not look like the michelin man. What joy is there in watching people in pads 'fighting' ? Another thing, I have basically retired from promoting so I have no monetary interest at the moment in the issue. btw, why am i listed as a waterboy ? haha

Last edited by dan tharp : 10-31-2004 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:19 PM
Fighter

Since you disagree with Steve then everyone who agrees with him is a "yes man?" I'm just reading that most of these people agree amateurs should wear headgear, so what does that have to do with being a yes man to Fossum? Also in your heated tirade you didn't answer my simple questions. How does headgear make the sport take a backseat to mma? It's a simple enough question. Can you read English?
Old 10-31-2004, 03:22 PM
Champion

another thing, Its my understanding that the main reason the ikf tv show tanked is because no sponsors wanted to invest money if headgear fights. right or wrong ? you can say go pro all you want but look at stephen thompson . Hes relegated to fighting some guy that has 3 amatuer fights. Wow what a bright outlook for a professional kickboxer, no fights no money no recognition. The sport is in the TANK.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:22 PM
Fighter

Looks like we were both typing at the same time - thanks for the response. I don't personally see that headgear has anything to do with mma being more popular than kickboxing, if that is really true. I would guess that more people compete in amateur kickboxing as compared to competing in amateur mma. But that is just a guess I don't really know. The fans may want blood and guts but that doesn't mean that the fighter's shouldn't be protected, even from themselves. Take care.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:26 PM
Hall Of Fame Champion

Dan. Please listen to logic...If I am Joe Public and go to see some Kickboxing. And I see some fighters with headgear, some without, one fighter with and his opponent without..I am going to be confused and I will look poorly on this Sport. Its not about being tough, it is about saving the Amateurs face from cuts before he turns Pro and their is no protection. Again, if you want to fight without headgear.....Go Pro!
Old 10-31-2004, 03:32 PM
Champion

thanks for dialouging with me greg. Im not taking Personal jabs at anybody, Im expressing my utter frustration with the current state of affairs. The amount of kickboxers is minute to the number of mma fighters.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:35 PM
Champion

curtis, Im not advocating mixed matches. Ie, one without, one with. It must be the same for both.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:52 PM
Champion

Another thing before I go trick or treating, who are any of you to tell me I have to wear headgear ? Id rather have opportunity to fight regularly than to make 500 dollars IF IM LUCKY once a year and call my self a PROFESSIONAL? WTF ?????

Last edited by dan tharp : 10-31-2004 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame Champion

Send a message via AIM to Pete P Send a message via Yahoo to Pete P

Dan,

I agree with EVERYONE but you, headgear should be worn for amatuers. SAFETY first, and for this sport to grow, the public needs to see that safety is given priority. I don't agree that KB is taking a back seat to MMA, granted there "may" be more fighters in MMA, but I think it is the ground game that has attracted more of the competitors, and the sport has been publicized more thru PPV than KB (those promoters had more $$ to work with). If you don't want to use headgear, than switch to MMA. AND, yes, there ARE plenty of pro fights out there. They are all over. There are many fighters competing at Steven Thompson's weight, they are just not his caliber of competitor, so why challenge him. He hasn't been pro long, he will get fights. They are out there! I saw you fight without headgear in Omaha just this past year, didn't I? If you are so set against headgear, then fight for a different org than the IKF, many smaller santioning orgs give the option. The IKF is trying to build kickboxing up with some standards and ethics, and professionalism. You said, "who are any of you to tell me I have to wear headgear?" Well, Dan, none of these guys told you you have to, IT IS IN THE RULES, oh yea, you don't read english, my bad OH, furthermore, just like the others in this thread....I am no "yes" man. I kiss no ones ass! I speak my mind and stand up for what I feel is right. Simply agreeing with the IKF rule of headgear for amatuer fights is NOT being a "yes" man, it is our opinion, just like not wearing it is your opinion.

Once again, if you don't like it, fight else where, or go pro!

Peace, Pete
Old 10-31-2004, 07:06 PM
Hall Of Fame Champion

ok.................

I've been outta it for too long.... and this one is too good to pass up.

Who said Kickboxing is not as popular as MMA cause of the head gear?? It sounds to me like you shoulda wore that head gear in a couple more fights cause you sound like your brain is suffering from a couple of hard shots without protection!

MMA followers enjoy the game because of the variety of training used in the game, not because there is no headgear worn! duh! Some go for the blood that sometimes happens and sometimes doesnt. Some go to watch the talent, training, and skill put forth by the fighters. IF more are going for the blood, then one can only say it's because society has become so desensitized that some see more excitement out of watching someone's face get bashed in then watching the execution of the different systems they have spent time learning.

Kickboxing, on the ametuer level, allows beginners to truly experience getting into the ring without taking as much risk at injuries. "Risk" would be increased if they did not wear headgear! They have "amateur" and "professional" levels for reasons, just as they have "Full contact", International", and "Muay Thai" rules. Would you also like to also drop the rules divisions too? I mean, c'mon, why should the fighters be restricted by specific rules? Why not just go in and throw punches with no rules? Wouldnt that make us even more like MMA since that seems to be what you are after?

Should we next go into the dance studios and make the hip-hop girls wear pointe' (ballet) shoes?