Kickboxing Message Board

Go Back   Kickboxing Message Board > IKF Kickboxing > IKF KICKBOXING NEWS
User Name
Password
NEWS EVENTS CHAT Register FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2005, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Default FCR: Boots? No Boots? Optional?

This thread is for discussion of your thoughts of todays article on the news page entitled,

11-22-05
Take off the Boot?
Modifying American Kickboxing?

Your thoughts about this are appreciated.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:08 PM
Hall Of Fame Champion

Default Re: FCR: Boots? No Boots? Optional?

I have no problem with wearing the boots. When I fight IR or MTR I end up with broken toes or broken feet. The only time I wore the foot pads I had absolutely no injuries in my feet. Why not keep them?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Hall Of Fame Champion

To our great fortune there is something BETTER than the traditional kickboxing/karate boot on the market and it was developed by a former world champion kickboxer. You might remember him, Steve Sheppard. He was champion back in the day. The new product is called the Ringstar Sparring Shoe. It has a VERY soft rubber sole, GREAT padding on the top of the instep (almost too much) and also has great padding on the back of the heel. Yes the sole is rubber but you would be supprised at how soft it is. Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson and Peyton "The Artist" Russell have been training with them for months now and absolutely LOVE them. They kick each other on a regular basis and have had no problem with the rubber soles. Peyton actually would rather Stephen kick him WITH the the bottom of the shoe (side kick) than with the bare foot. The other great thing about the shoe is there toes DO NOT get injured AT ALL. A great feature (I think) is the heel is not exposed like in a regular boot when the boot rides up the foot, as it always does. I also just heard that Macho just bought 10,000 pair of them. The shoes look nice too. I am allowing them in my school and my students love them especially on cold days. I tell them when they buy them that the shoes are NOT to be worn out side. The sole are soft enough to pick up any trash (pebbles, etc) and track it in the school and on to the training surface. KEEP THE SHOES/BOOTS!!!! Oh, incase you might think I have a vested interest in the shoe, I WISH I DID!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2005, 11:06 AM
Champion

i think getting rid of the boots is a step in the right direction for fcr.
with a beefed up image,fc could be back on top again.

the other styles have more to offer right off the bat.fc has to be able to deliver something the others can't or at least match it.it has been said(although i don't fully agree)that with the variety of kicks in fc that it can be more exciting that the other styles.i believe if this fact could be exploited with a flashier,more modern look,fc could have a chance.

kirk"havoc"robison
Old 11-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Craig Smith

I think the foot pads should stay, maybe a modified version like Ray said would be better, but I feel the pad on the foot should stay. Everyone will have their own oppinion which is why we live within a democracy.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:31 PM
Watcher

Do the ringstar boots qualify as competition boots?
Old 11-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Master Champion

Send a message via AIM to Austin "OT" Baitman Send a message via Yahoo to Austin "OT" Baitman
Post Re: FCR: Boots? No Boots? Optional?

I cannot speak for other officials, but if I was the referee, I would NOT allow them in an IKF contest or exhibition, absent official permission from IKF headquarters. The rules governing equipment in the IKF state that foot pads must be IKF approved. There is NO evidence at this time that the ringstar shoes have been approved for competition/exhibition use, therefore I would rule that wearing the ringstar boots would be illegal.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Banned

I have trained in the Ringstar boots and like them. I think the IKF should allow them in their events. On the no footpads thing. I would not mind fighting with no shin pads or boots. I think you would definitely see more kick knock outs.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:48 PM
Contender

I think fighting without boots very dangerous to an amateur. I have broken a toe with boots on. I don't want to imagine how many toes would be broken without them. I aso think fighters would learn to purposely block kicks to break their opponents toes and feet. I think American kickboxing will never be very popular because it has no distinctive niche. It is too similar to boxing and most amateurs don't have exciting kicks. I think the best bet is to move the rules closer to K-1 to encourage fighters who have dreams of becoming a famous highly paid fighter. There are few people who can afford to commit themselves to American kickboxing because of the lack of money opportunities. Maybe we should lose the shin pads because shins can be conditioned a lot easier than toes and we should allow leg kicks.

Last edited by David33l : 11-25-2005 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:51 AM
Craig Smith

All good answers, but if you are up on your local legislation and know the direction that the Gov't is taking on all this, do not be surprised if we see more safety within our sport. That would mean foot pads are here to stay and Shin guards are as well. Headgear will never go in amateur, and I believe if congress gets its way, No Holds Bar'd will be changed to better the safety of the fighters. This is what I am hearing thru our senators and legislative branch in Va. This is coming straight from our Athletic Comm. of the State of Va. Matter of fact they are cracking down on Va. MMA and have stepped in and closed down several events. We all like the gladiator type fighters with all the hard core fighting and blood and guts stuff, but the logist of it all is that it is not something our kids should be seeing, therefore I believe a changeover is coming.